This is a simple side dish for people who eat green things (sorry Kate). The picture above is before application of cheese, because once I cheesed it, it looked less spinachy and less photogenic.
Servings: 1 (multiply as desired)
Time: 10 min
- ~2 cups fresh spinach (not baby spinach. the kind that comes in bunches)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh button mushrooms
- ~2 Tbl olive oil
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Large vessel for spinach washing (see below)
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Skillet with a lid (6″ for 1 serving, larger for more)
- Wash the spinach really well. The only way to accomplish this is to fill a pot or a pitcher or a large bowl with water and aggressively swish the spinach around in the water. When you see what color the water turns, you’ll understand why this is important.
- Cut off and discard the spinach stems and cut the leaves into ~1 wide strips.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. When it’s hot, add the garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes.
- Dump in the spinach and salt it (this helps it to release moisture and wilt faster). Cover and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. If it’s a little soupy, uncover it to cook off the liquid.
- Remove the spinach from the pan and top with cheese.
- Popeye and Olive Oyl are property of King Features Syndicate.
- The dancing mushrooms are from Disney’s Fantasia. I found the picture above on a blog.